The Craft Brewers Conference 2009 and 2013 both offered a Beer and Health session. I was at both of them as I find this area of the industry fascinating and well worth my time. They were both informative, myth busting and thought-provoking. The speaker in 2009 was Dr. Arthur Klatsky. Dr. Mack Mitchell was the 2013 presenter.
Here are a few of the insights they shared (I hope I got them right):
- Women and men show a lower risk of Type 2 Diabetes with moderate drinking
- Hops = phytoestrogens; very different from human estrogen
- Alcohol does not destroy brain cells
- Neural stem cells in rodent trials with heavy consumption reduced functioning cells
- The National Institutes of Health = good resource
The talks were both extremely enlightening and I sincerely hope the BA includes more of this type of information For accurate education based on solid research, for resources, for busting myths and building understanding. These are all reaching and important areas of the beer community.
I’ll share more resources on beer and health that generous and helpful industry colleagues have shared with me, per a request.