1. When you’re developing your business and organization’s plans.
2. Before you open for business.
3. When you aren’t a marketing pro yourself.
4. Before you solicit investors.
5. If you don’t have a solid true understanding of the definitions of marketing, advertising, branding, and sales.
6. When you want an expert to help you in areas you know little about.
When you’re putting together any entity, hiring the complementary professionals – like marketers, architects, plumbers, IT, cooks, et. al – is one of the very best uses of your monies. They are the experts you need to help you flourish best within a realistic timeline.
Seek, interview, ask for referrals, have in-depth conversations with the pros you’re considering, check on references, and move forward. Get the best people on your team you can possibly find and afford. Make sure it’s a personality and philosophy match as well. I learned the hard way how important philosophical alignment is, to the tune of loosing a 5 figure contract. Don’t make my mistake.
The most successful and happy companies understand that there is talent galore outside their own walls that they want to and need to tap into to improve their own operations. The services of a competent expert is worth more than the money you lay out. It’s peace of mind, liberating and smart.
Said another way – your life = your business. Invest your time, money and attention wisely.