Many thanks to all of you who supported the recently completed Big Beers Belgians & Barleywines Festival in Vail, Colorado USA. As anticipated, it was a smash and a ball, thanks to the vision, hard work, logistical magic and mojo of many.
It was with great relish I was invited to return and present again – so that I did. Here’s the link from my session, Wandering Around The Kitchen with Ginger. Great crowd (you know who you are!) and super helpful and fun volunteers to boot, guided by my Fine Husband as well. Preparing and sharing food and drink is at the top of my happiness list in life.
As I promised the room full of folks, here’s the menu I served.
- Rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes – with both Oude tart with Boysenberries and Nancy.
- Dried shiitake & chanterelle mushrooms rehydrated with Dragon’s Milk.
- Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue.
- Briess Malted Milk Balls.
My original menu was entirely different, with fully prepared dishes. Alas – one of the powers that be sent down orders from on high at a very late hour, so – being nimble, I switched to fit a whole different set of parameters. Can do.
In the bigger scheme of things, I pride myself on being nimble and being able to change with the flow. Everything is possible and I was there to take care of my host, the Festival and founders first.
Wandering around the kitchen is descriptive of how I approach and navigate my food & cooking world. It’s overflowing with opportunity, ideas and shiny things to try. I do wander…through my fridge, larder, recipe books & files, brain, and the stores I visit. It’s one great big tasty adventure and I fully embrace it.
A number of attendees who sought me out afterwards told me they would have never thought to use beer for rehydration or that they don’t usually eat mushrooms but they tried them and various other comments. Success is measured by participation. When you dig in, literally, then you achieve. When you let it pass, you negate discovery out of hand. Pity, really. Fun and exploration are so much more rewarding.
So thanks to the following for their help & assistance. See you again soon ~
- Laura Lodge, BBBB co-founder and One Who Makes Things Happen
- Fred Bueltmann, New Holland Brewing
- Patrick Rue & Ben, the Bruery
- Naomi & crew, Allagash Brewing
- Tom VanVoorhees, Cheese Ringmaster, Rogue Creamery
- Deb & the whole volunteer crew
- All the guests – you rocked it!
- My Fine Husband