Keri Bishop was one of two finalists for the Think Outside the Pint cooking with beer contest, as part of last weekends the Bite of Oregon. This great big delicious event provided the perfect opportunity to involve beer in cooking.
Keri shares: “This recipe originally belonged to my great aunt Idelia. My mother then modified it when she moved to the USA because she could not purchase all of the ingredients in the original recipe in this country. I then replaced the water used for the caramel in my Mom’s recipe with beer, because beer just makes everything taste better. “
Here is Keri’s recipe, which I recommend making – it’s totally delicious!
Mi Mama’s Flan with Hazelnut Brown Caramel Sauce
- 12 ounces of Rogue’s Hazelnut Brown Beer or similar full flavored beer
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 tblsp of Cornsyrup
- 4 Eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 12oz can evaporated milk
- 140z can condensed milk
- In a pot over medium heat dissolve sugar and corn syrup into the beer
- Stir mixture occasionally until thick and golden brown (approximately 50 minutes)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees
Pour Caramel sauce quickly into and 8x8in, pan and allow to set
- While the caramel is setting, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, condensed, and evaporated milks in a large bowl
- Pour the custard over the caramel
- Fill a 13 x 9 inch pan half way full with boiling water
- Place the pan with the flan mixture gently into the 13 x 9 pan hot water bath
- Carefully place into the oven and bake for 39 minutes
- After 39 minutes turn the oven off and allow the flan to cool completely in the oven
- Once cooled, place in the refrigerator for 2 hours
- Remove from the refrigerator and slide a knife around the edges
- Flip the pan over gently onto a serving platter scraping the good bits of caramel left in the flan pan over the flan
- Serve and Enjoy!
We’d suggest enjoying it was a glass of the beer you created this deliciousness with – you’ll get an extra bonus of flavor!